Johnny Kitagawa (ジャニー喜多川)
Birthname : Kitagawa Hiromu (喜多川 擴)
Other name : John Hiromu Kitagawa
Birthplace : Los Angeles, California, USA
Birthdate : October 23, 1931
Johnny Kitagawa is a founder and president of Johnny & Associates. He is also a promotor and producer.
- His father, Kitagawa Taido, is the third director of the Koyasan Buddhist Temple in Little Tokyo.
- His older sister, Mary Kitagawa, is a vice president of Johnny & Associates and president of Johnny’s Entertainment.
- His niece, Fujishima Julie Keiko, is president of J Storm.
- His older brother was a scientiest who designed Apollo in NASA.
- His mother was dead in USA when he was a child.
- Was born and raised in California until High School.
- After Pasific War, he, his older brother, his older sister and his father went to Japan by ship on June 18, 1942.
- They lived in Wakayama in the same year.
- Was back to Los Angeles in 1945 and entered local high school.
- Had a part-time job as music maker assistant in Ernie Pyle Theater.
- Good friend with Hibari Misora, who perormanced in USA with her adoptive parents.
- Graduated from Los Angeles City College, same as Mary Kitagawa, in 1952.
- After graduated, he was working as a Criminal Investigation Command (CID) at United States Embassy in Japan.
- Mastered Korean.
- Also graduted from Sophia University (interational college of liberal arts) in 1955.
- Became a coach of baseball league team in Washington Apartement House in Yoyogi. This team called as “Johnny’s”. They also practiced in Rikkyo University field in Ikebukuro.
- Chosed four members of his baseball team to took them to movie theater to watched “Westside Story.” Then, he dicided to built an entertainment bussiness.
- Formed first group in April, 1962 named Johnny’s.
- Found Johnny & Associates in June, 1962. Then registered it on January 30, 1975. He was helped by Mary Kitagawa.
- Often called his talents with “YOU” and “YOUtachi” despite of Japanese. But only one person who didn’t call with “YOU”, he is Yokoyama Yu. He called him with “Yoko”.
- His talents call him “Johnny-san” or “Sacho”.
- His unique slang often become title of shows features Johnny’s talents such as YOUtachi!, YOUtachi ~Johnny’s Jr No.1 Ketteisen~ and YOU Conte Shichainai yo!
- Known as a person who never appeared in a public and never permits his photograph to be taken. He thinks that he is not a performer so he not should be appeared.
- For the first time, he appeared in NHK’s TV Show, JOHNNY’S World: Top of the J-Pops on January 27, 2013. Althought, he was interviewed but his face was not on screen.
- His photograph was also taken for recieving a prize occasion including Guiness Books of World Records.
- In 2003, he was recieving a special prize from Kikuta Kazuo. But, he let Domoto Koichi went to the award ceremony.
- He was receiving three Guiness of World Records. Those are as the most no.1 single producer and the most concerts producer in 2011. Then, the most no.1 ats producers in 2012.
- Always in the venue to see audiens reaction during the concerts, stage plays and shows.
- Do something that never seen before. He combines Japanese pop music and broadway.
- Gives name for all Johnny’s groups and units.
- Very closed with his talents. He often go to rehearsal and bring foods for all. Even Arioka Daiki talked by phone to him like friend.
- Phoned the talents by himself to go to audition.
Guinness of World Records
The Most No. 1 Singles Produced by an Individial is 232, achieved by Johnny Kitagawa (Japan) who produced tracks by over 40 of Japan’s best-selling artists from 28 October 1974 to 15 March 2010
The Most Concerts Produced by an Individual, having put on an amazing 8,419 shows between 2000 and 2010
Special TV Show
- [2013.01.27] JOHNNY’S World: Top of the J-Pops (NHK World)
[2015.01.01] Crossover Talk with Yukio Ninagawa (NHK Radio)